Lot 13 (Home, Garden & Natural History Live Auction, lot 1-224, 18th May 2021)
Garden statues: A pair of rare Blanchard’s terracotta eagles
late 19th century
each with indistinct makers stamp Blanchard Terracotta London
Mark Henry Blanchard served his apprenticeship with the Coade Company and around 1839 established his own manufactory in London. It is believed that in 1883 he moved his workshops to Bishops Waltham, to be nearer to the source of clay that he used. By the middle of the century, he had emerged as the leading manufacturer of terracotta in Britain, he was awarded prizes for his exhibit at the Great Exhibition of 1851. Amongst the many properties where his produce can be seen is the South Kensington Museum (now the Natural History Museum).